It all began in 1931, when the city announced that the land of Kavanaugh Field (West End Field), was going to be needed for Little Rock High School's upcoming expansion. Work began on a rather huge new ballfield which was completed towards the end of the '31 season. It wouldn't be ready in time to play any games at, but the Travelers and the Negro League's Little Rock Grays had a tremendous new ballpark to call home in 1932... quite a bit of anticipation grew over the seemingly endless winter.