Due to the war effort, the Chicago Cubs and the Chicago White Sox found themselves in need of a new training facility and 30 years later, baseball would return to French Lick and West Baden. We're not sure how much of the original bicycle track was still standing when the Cubs and White Sox moved here in 1943. The Chicago Cubs franchise would build a second ballfield called Gallagher Field right off the 18 hole of the golf course surrounding the French Lick hotel to be utilized when the main "Dykes Stadium" at the West Baden Hotel (as it was deemed), was being utilized by the other Chicago team. The convenience and location of this secondary ballfield however along with the fact that it was built on "higher ground" and out of the floodwaters, made for many a contentious morning