Though the French Lick Hotel and the West Baden Hotel were in competition with each other, it is believed that this field was used for every team that played in the area. Though it would cease being utilized for pro Spring Training ball when the Cardinals moved to Jackson Mississippi in 1912, baseball would find its way back here due to Hitler and World War II. Commissioner Mountain Kennesaw Landis mandated that Major League teams would keep the highways open and train north of the Mason-Dixon Line instead of their usual warmer, southern U.S. locations from 1943-1945.