Myers Field was born in 1940 as "High Rock Park", named after the local soda distributor and sponsor High Rock Beverage Company. The ballpark was a replacement for Bain Field (Legion Park) which had been home to all Norfolk baseball since 1917 but took on heavy damage from Nor'easters at the end of the 1939 season. Though the new High Rock Park was built far stronger than Bain Field, the ballpark had a somewhat similar architectural look to it with covered grandstand behind the plate, long bleachers down the lines and a small covered bleacher in the outfield for Negro patrons who were segregated during this era.