When Portsmouth's Franklin D. Lawrence Stadium was built in 1941 (then known when it first opened as Portsmouth Stadium), the town already had a working facility called Sewanee Stadium (aka Washington Street Park aka Portsmouth Park aka Truckers Stadium) located on Washington Street between Lincoln and Henry for the Class B Portsmouth Truckers (and most recently, Portsmouth Cubs) of the Virginia League and the Piedmont League. The wooden based ballpark had been in use since 1921, and it was at the very end of its lifecycle (due to its fragile wooden construction). There were always some pretty good teams to be found at Sewanee Stadium with the Portsmouth Truckers/Cubs franchises owned by one of the most astute businessmen/bankers in the Tidewater region... Frank D. Lawrence (who had a knack for finding the next future Hall of Famer. Both Pie Traynor and the future Major League (still reigning) RBI King and former National League all time HR King... Hack Wilson starting their professional careers with the Truckers).