In July of 1941, the team moved out of old Athletic Park (which was right next door to this ballpark), and into this one. The old ballpark is known today as the Wheeler Athletic Complex, though there is nothing left of the original grandstand. The Dukes were members of the St. Louis Cardinals Organization and were a Class C team. They would finish their first season at this ballpark with a fine 63-48 record. Good enough for 3rd place, but not good enough to win the Northern League championship. The Dukes would play for two seasons in the Northern League here at Wade Stadium, until World War II suspended its operations.