It was in 1941 that the Duluth Dukes of the Northern League were blessed with an early birthday present from the United States government. As part of the Works Progress Administration's move to build lots of "stuff" all over the United States, creating jobs and helping end the depression, Duluth received a brand new and very large ballpark (that doubles as a kingdom). The over 1/3 of a million bricks that were used to make this stadium actually came from the street outside the ballpark. Grand Avenue had been a brick lined street but was then repaved in 1940. The bricks that had actually been the road, were removed and used to build the ballpark.