Photograph © Steven L.J. Russo
Falcon Park was one of the eldest and most utilized ballparks in all of upstate New York. It was born in 1927 and served professional baseball for 6 decades until it was demolished and replaced in 1994. These photographs come courtesy of Stephen LJ Russo who was one of baseball's biggest supporters in Auburn and was instrumental to keeping baseball in this town by raising money for a new stadium. The old ballpark featured 3 sections of grandstand. The 1st baseline and the grandstand behind home plate were both covered sections, and the 1st baseline also offered premium seating… according to Stephen, the only place in the ballpark to do so. The 3rd baseline was more of a bleacher section and remained uncovered but also housed the small press box. While the ballpark made its debut in 1927, it wasn’t utilized by professional baseball until 1938 when the original Can-Am League gave Falcon Park its Minor League debut. It was the first time that professional baseball had been played in Auburn since 1907 when the Empire State League played in this Finger Lakes town. The first team to call Falcon Park home was known as the Auburn Bouleys who took over for the Smiths Falls Beavers ballclub which had been playing at Canadian Pacific Recreational Field in Ontario Canada. The Beavers were a Yankees farm club but when they moved to Auburn, the new Bouleys would go co-op.