(Photographs Courtesy of Ed Baker)
Sunbury Memorial Field was built in 1946 to replace the stark Meridith Park, which Ed Baker tells us was really nothing more than a ballfield with some "thrown together bleachers". The ballpark was built for the Class B Interstate League... a "higher echelon" Minor League system with teams in York, Lancaster, Hagerstown, Allentown, Wilmington, Trenton & Salisbury. The first team to call this ballpark home was the 1946 Sunbury Yankees. The Yankees were led by Manager Walt VanGrofski and went 67-73 (6th place) and a much worse 51-89 (8th place) in 1947. Notable Sunbury Yankees players include Sam Herman Carl Braun and Hank Biasatti. In 1946, John Szajna led the team and the entire Interstate League in wins with 19 while, teammate John Mackinson did the same in strikeouts with 181. The team drew a very impressive 101,000 to the new stadium in 1946.