That would all change in 1949, when the team signed a Player Development Contract with the Washington Senators. The new affiliated team would be renamed the New Castle Nats. The Nats moniker referred to the parent club's official unofficial name of the Washington Nationals (more on that in the RFK Stadium gallery). The little Nationals or Nats would represent Washington as their Class C franchise.