Unlike many stadiums where the stonework is only visible from the outside, Carl Lewton Stadium's red river rock is what holds the stark white concrete and blue backed seats together, helping to make this one of the most attractive ballparks we've come across. When it opened in 1938, the ballpark immediately attracted the attention of the Arkansas Missouri League. It also caught the eye of the Pittsburgh Pirates who immediately assigned Carl Lewton Stadium to house their Class D franchise. The Carthage Pirates would take the field for the first time in 1938.