With the Major Leagues returning to their natural Spring Training homes, this ballpark would go back to doing what it does best... being home to the Class B Wilmington Blue Rocks, who had called this ballpark home since they moved here in 1940. The original Blue Rocks team was not surprisingly a Philadelphia Athletics franchise... which is probably why the A's made this their Spring Training home in 1943. Also not surprisingly... when the franchise switched allegiances to the Philadelphia Phillies in 1944, it co-insided to when the Phillies took over this ballpark in 1944 for Spring Training. The original Blue Rocks team featured some hefty hitters with Elmer Valo (31 2B, 16 3B, 6 HR, league leading 159 hits, league leading .364) leading the team in every hitting category. Frank Colman meanwhile was so very exciting because he could pitch (10-4, 2.76) and flat out hit (8 2B, 5 HR, .361 in his 205 at bats). He was such an excellent hitter in fact that when he wasn't the ace of staff on the mound... the Blue Rocks put him in the outfield to try to get his bat into the lineup. Bernard Cobb (9 HR, .310) led the team in HRs. This was a very spacious outfield so home runs were in short supply. The Blue Rocks would finish at 68-52 in their first season and made it to the playoffs losing in the first round. This 7,000 seat stadium however would see an amazing 145,000 fans come out to the ballpark. Keep in mind that the Philadelphia Athletics who was this club's parent team only drew 285,000 that season so ... this little Class B team drew half of what its Major League parent had drawn, easily leading the Interstate League in attendance.