After Richmond had lost their Piedmont League team in 1953, Harry Seibold wished to bring an International League team to Richmond. The league president came to Richmond and found that Mooers Field wasn't up to the standards of the league, and if a new team was going to come to Richmond, they would need a new stadium. Instead of building anew, Seibold took the 20 year old Parker Field and renovated it from a fairgrounds to a Triple-A facility. Construction was completed in time for the  Richmond Virginia's to take the field in 1954.