Lovett Park would become the home for professional baseball in Dublin since it debuted in 1949. The ballpark was named after Herschel Lovett who was responsible for bringing pro ball to this central Georgian town not far from Macon. Because of its Irish namesake, the team's which would call this ballpark home were usually given appropriate names such as the "Dublin Irish" or the "Dublin Green Sox" (as shown above). The Single-A Georgia State League was a relatively new Class D Minor League system which began in 1948 with teams in Douglas, Baxley, Fitzgerald, Eastman, Sparta and Vidalia-Lyons. Herschel Lovett had his new stadium built in time for opening day 1949 on the corner of Kellam Road at Telfair Street as these new Dublin Green Sox joined the league along with Tifton to raise the roster to 8 franchises… all of which were co-op and held no affiliations. In many ways, Dublin's inclusion in the league was seen as quite a blessing as the 6 inaugural teams failed to get much fan support with Fitzgerald's 44k topping the gate receipts. Dublin's new Lovett Park was the excitement of the town and immediately drew 62,000 in their first season despite being a 6th place team, 8 games under .500 and 23.5 games out of 1st place.