Jackie Robinson Ballpark
(aka City Island BallPark)
Home of the Daytona Cubs (Single-A)
Former Home of the Daytona Admirals, Islanders and Astros
Former Spring Training Home of the Expos, Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles
When the ballpark opened in 1914, it was one of the most inviting facilities of all of the recently built stadia. It immediately attracted the Brooklyn Dodgers who would spend 1915-1916 at City Island Ballpark. After they moved on, City Island Ballpark would sit surprisingly idle to Major League Spring Training for decades until the St. Louis Cardinals made a brief appearance in March of 1937... and that would be it for Major League Baseball "Grapefruit League" training until the "newer grandstand" was completed after 1940. As for the Minor League side of things, Single-A (Class D) Florida State League baseball would first make its home at City Island Ballpark in 1920. From 1920 until 1924, the Daytona Beach Islanders would utilize this facility until they moved to Clearwater in mid-season. They would return briefly in 1928, but after the season ended, the league would shut down and not return again until 1936 when the Islanders finally set up shop here permanently. City Island Ballpark had been one of the best ballparks in this region built specifically for baseball, yet it would go sort of ignored in the early years of its existence.