Photographs courtesy of Chris Hunter of the Schenectady Museum and Science Center
from the G.E. Collection of Historic Photographs
(special thanks to Stephen L.J. Russo)

Donovan Field was built in 1925 and served as New Haven's home in the Eastern League until the league shut down in 1932. This original Eastern League was a Class B League and was unrelated to any of the current Eastern or New-York Penn League systems that exist today. The Eastern League that serves Double-A baseball today was alive during this period but was known then as the New York-Pennsylvania League and changed its name to the Eastern League in 1938 (taking over this league’s moniker after it had collapsed due to the depression). The team had been playing at Weiss Field at Savin Rock Park until this new ballpark was completed in 1925. Weiss field was named after the "New Haven Profs" General Manager George Weiss. Weiss would make quite a name for himself here in New Haven… so much so that he would go on to become General Manager of the New York Yankees