The first team to play at the fairgrounds was the Southeastern League's Meridian Scrappers who used the ballpark from 1937-1939. During their first two seasons, they were members of the St. Louis Browns organization. In 1939, they became a co-op team and in 1940, they changed their name to the Meridian Bears. In 1941, they changed their name again, this time to the Meridian Eagles and returned to the St. Louis Browns' umbrella. By 1942 they again were a co-op team. The league ceased operations due to the war after the 1942 season.