(All photographs in this gallery courtesy of
City Stadium first served as host to the Virginia League, when it opened in 1940 and were known as the Lynchburg Senators. The team operated as a co-op for the Class C league for 3 seasons, until the league ceased operations due to World War II. The nearby Piedmont League was one of the few leagues that continued to play between 1943 and 1945. Lynchburg "jumped ship" over to the Class B Piedmont League... a huge upgrade in class (equal to today's Double-A), where they found a good friend in the St. Louis Cardinals.