Photo courtesy of Steven L.J. Russo and Chris Hunter and the Schenectady Museum & Science Center's GE Archives
Glovers Park was built in 1937 for the Class C Canadian American League team, the "Gloverville-Johnstown Glovers". The franchise was not quite prepared to welcome a team into the new Can-Am League when it began in 1936 so the inaugural franchise began instead in Watertown NY at the old Fairgrounds. When it was apparent that that wasn't working, the team moved to Alco Field in Massena. That didn't work either so 9 days later, they were right back in Watertown. By the end of the season, the franchise was ready to make a permanent move and luckily Glover Park had finally been completed at the Gloversville Fairgrounds. In 1937 the Watertown Bucks turned Massena Bucks turned Watertown Grays became the Gloversville Glovers. In 1938 they incorporated the neighboring town of Johnstown into the name to become the "Gloversville-Johnstown Glovers". The Fairgrounds changed its name in 1938 to"Berkshire Park" after being simply referred to as the before finally becoming "Glovers Park" in 1950.