Perris Hill Park was built in 1934 by President Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration (WPA). Initially, the ballpark was created without it's signature roof. The area behind home plate never had a covering of any kind (but did have a small press box), nor did the 3rd baseline... just this rather random section of the 1st baseline which made this ballpark very quirky. The ballpark was named after Frederick Thomas Perris... a railroad magnate who helped to build the town of San Bernardino California.