Despite having this brand new ballpark to call home… Merrill Park would go dark for 5 long years as there weren't any Minor League systems in the area to play in, with the fall of the Panhandle-Pecos Valley League in 1923. Finally in 1928, the West Texas League made a triumphant return with San Angelo, Coleman, Abilene, Midland and Hamilin (which moved to Big Spring). Unfortunately … despite baseball returning and the Lubbock Hubbers back in business… the great players were gone, and though Lin Storti (29 2B, 21 HR, .337) played well on his way to becoming a 3rd baseman for the St. Louis Browns, Lubbock finished in 5th with a 48-63 record. The lackluster performance would see a quick end to the franchise as it moved to Ballinger for 1929 and Merrill Park would again go dark… this time for good. Lubbock tried its best to lure the Class D organizations back to Lubbock, installing lighting and hosting many night games, which actually drew pretty decent crowds. Rivalries between Lubbock and Amarillo drew particularly well. Baseball would indeed return to Lubbock again but it would take a long and full decade before that would happen and by then, this ballpark was long gone. A brand new and much larger wooden facility dubbed Parris Park would be built very quickly with word that the new ballpark was coming into town. In its final years, this ballpark would host high profile exhibition night games in order to pay for the new Parris Park to be built... thus returning Minor League ball to Lubbock once again.
Please contact us if you have any more photographs of this, or any other now demolished ballpark!