Lubbock began its history in Minor League baseball in 1922 when they fielded their very first team… the Lubbock Hubbers. Unlike many teams in the region (like the Waco franchise for instance which had 9 different name changes), Lubbock was born the Hubbers and they remained that way until the very end of their Minor League existence in 1956. In that time, the Hubbers would have 3 different ballparks … the first was this old time wooden ballpark with its small central grandstand behind homeplate dubbed "Merrill Baseball Park" and later, simply Merrill Park. Merrill was located in between Avenue D and 19th Street *According to Gord Brown SABR. The ballpark was built in 1922 and immediately began serving the West Texas League, which then became the Panhandle-Pecos Valley League in 1923. The Hubbers were a successful baseball team from the start putting up a 2nd place 79-56 (.585) record in their first year thanks to Sam Langford and his record breaking 21 HR along with 27 2B, 15 3B and .340 batting average (.573 slugging). The Lubbock Hubbers remained in the league in 1923 after the West Texas League changed its name to the Panhandle-Pecos Valley League with teams in Amarillo, Clovis and Roswell NM. Dick Morgan led the league with his 17-9 record while Harry Swenson (16-9) led the league in strikeouts with 162. With the league floundering in mid-August, the playoffs were pushed up with Lubbock going up against Amarillo for a best of 9 game series. After 8 games it was all tied up at 4 games apiece with the finale going to the Hubbers as they recorded their first ever... and last ever championship for this ballpark.