Courtesy of Peter Outerbridge
The first team to call War Memorial Stadium home was the 1961 Buffalo Bisons who were the Triple-A affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies organization. The Bisons were in the 3rd year of their 4 year PDC with Philadelphia, after having moved north from Miamiís Bobby Maduro Stadium in 1959. The Bisons were members of the International League which at the time, featured teams in San Juan Puerto Rico, Toronto, Rochester, Columbus, Syracuse, Richmond and a new team at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City New Jersey (the team had been playing at Gran Stadium in Havana Cuba as the Sugar Kings but once the revolution had begun, things began to unravel quickly at the ballpark. Gunfire had caused the SS and 3rd base coach to be injured during a ballgame).