"Home Plate Entrance" courtesy of Peter Outerbridge
Though officially called War Memorial Stadium, Buffalo’s old baseball / football park was best known as "The Rockpile". Built in 1937, it began its life as Roesch Memorial Stadium. The name was quickly changed to Grover Cleveland Stadium and then finally Civic Stadium before becoming War Memorial Stadium (and then nicknamed "The Rockpile"). Over the years, renovations to the stadium were made to increase its capacity until it looked like a hodgepodge of various grandstands and roofing systems. In the end, the Rockpile did its best to become a home to professional baseball, but this was a football stadium through and through.