Borchert Field was created in 1888 at a time when professional baseball was still in its infancy. While stadiums like this would be utilized for a couple of years and then discarded, Borchert Field was here for the long term, despite its bizarre dimensions. In fact, by the time it was finally taken out of commission and demolished in 1953, it had survived two World Wars and the Spanish American War. When the Milwaukee Brewers took the field here for the first time in 1888, there were only 38 United States. North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii had yet to join the union.